•  BUSHY PARK 001

    BUSHY PARK 001

  •  BUSHY PARK 002

    BUSHY PARK 002

  •  BUSHY PARK 003

    BUSHY PARK 003

  •  BUSHY PARK 004

    BUSHY PARK 004

  •  BUSHY PARK 005

    BUSHY PARK 005

  •  BUSHY PARK 006

    BUSHY PARK 006

Bushy Park is a large, 20.5-hectare (51-acre),suburban public park in Terenure, Dublin, Ireland.

Although situated mainly in Terenure, and listed by the city council with that address, it stretches to the borders of Rathfarnham and Templeogue. It is across the road from Terenure College boys' school and has several entrances. The River Dodder passes alongside it, within the Dodder Valley Linear Park, and the high wall of Bushy Park has several access points to the riverside.

There is a children's playground, an extensive wooded area, with walks to the banks of the Dodder (with access over a footbridge to the Rathfarnham area), a woodland pond, a duck pond, and a recently reopened kiosk. In front of the duck pond is a high hill, and east of the pond is a starting point for the woodland walk, beside a small cascade. The park is a good place for birdwatching - among the species which may be seen are sparrow hawk, treecreeper and kingfisher.

The park has football fields, a skateboarding area and 11 tennis courts. Many sporting clubs and schools in the area use the park for recreational activities such as the Football Association of Ireland, Terenure Football Club (with schoolgirls, schoolboys, adult male and female teams), and Gaelic football club Templeogue Synge Street. Sportsworld running club are also based in the park, with their clubhouse located at the Terenure road entrance to the park. The Terenure Village Market operates in Bushy Park each Saturday afternoon. The market consists of a variety of stalls selling artisan foods, confectionery and more, along with occasional music performances.

Bushy Park House was originally owned by Arthur Bushe of Dangan, County Kilkenny. He was a secretary to the Revenue Commissioners who built the house. The house was originally known as "Bushe's House" in 1700, and was situated on a site of four hectares. John Hobson became the owner in 1772 and changed the name of the house to Bushy Park, possibly after Bushy Park in London. The third owner was Abraham Wilkinson who in 1791 added almost 40 extra hectares to this estate when his only daughter Maria married Robert Shaw who was first baronet, Member of Parliament and Lord Mayor of Dublin. In 1796 he gave the house and estate as a dowry to the couple. Bushy Park House became the seat of Sir Robert Shaw when he left nearby Terenure House.

The Shaw family was connected with Bushy Park until they sold the house and grounds to Dublin City Council (formerly Dublin Corporation) in 1953. The house and eight hectares of the grounds were then sold in 1955 by Dublin City Council to the Religious of Christian Education (an order of teaching Sisters founded in Normandy in 1817), where they established Our Lady's School for girls. Dublin City Council re-acquired 2 acres (8,100 m2) of woodland in 1992.

As of early 2008 there are plans to refurbish Bushy Park House.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to visit this site you agree to our use of cookies.